Thursday, August 16, 2007

Transfer Addiction

What is transfer addiction? Well, in the Weight loss community (whether you have surgery or not). It is a process that you have to go through to really figure out what it is that you are going to substitute for food. For me, food was my best friend. We were thick as thieves. I didn’t always over eat. When I was an athlete, I used it as fuel to see how good I could get at that particular sport. When I was a cheerleader, I would withhold it to see how thin I could get. (which never happened). When I had a fight with a friend, or a bad break-up…my lover “Mr. Godiva” would come and rescue me from the pain. Then, when I got married and had children and other stresses came up. I would make excuses and say “hey, I deserve home made ice cream today…I worked 10 hours and then am a full time mom”.

But, you see..I have a sordid past if you will. Like probably 90% of the world. Things happened in my life that I consider a tragedy. Sometimes, it made me become so fierce in overcoming obstacles in my way. Sometimes, my past made me feel less adequate than the rest of the world. So, my best friend food could always be there to depend on.

So, when I have WLS…what will be take the place of that comfort companion? It can’t be alcohol, or cigarettes, or sudden crack usage. They teach you in the program to find alternatives. The obvious is exercising…but, they tell you not to become an addict at that either. I am like “crap, what the hell is left?” I suppose sex 24 hours a day is good. But, that is an addiction too. :)SO, my transfer addiction is going to be writing. I have always written since I was a kid. I am now writing screenplays on the side in my so non-existent free time. But, I like to blog. I like to journal. I am told that everytime that I think about food….to write.

I think you will see a lot of writing out of me for the next FOREVER!! ;)Food is a drug for some of us and I am headed to rehab.

No comments: